Inspire Community Trust (Inspire) was formed following a Best Value Review of the London Borough of Bexley’s own service for people with physical and sensory impairments, carried out between April 2002 and July 2003.
Afterwards, the Council tendered to transfer services to an independent, not-for-profit, user-led organisation with an Independent Living Centre (ILC) model. A project group was formed with representatives from the London Borough of Bexley, voluntary organisations (with an interest in disability issues) and people with disabilities who used local services. Following this, a new independent organisation was created to provide services for people with disabilities.
The detailed work was undertaken by a multi-agency project team, which involved various partners and service users. As a result, Inspire was formed in November 2004.
- 2005 – Council Services transferred to Inspire Community Trust
- 2010 – ICES Services transferred to Inspire
- 2012 – Purpose built warehousing was built at the Slade Green site to manage ICES services
- 2019 – Wheelchair Services launched for NHS partners
- 2020 – Acquisition of Apex Medical Rental, Repairs and Maintenance division
Winners of the ‘Charity of the year’ Bexley Business Awards 2019